Wednesday, March 05, 2014

CMJ RECAP ISSUE 1334 WEEK 9

Remember a few weeks ago when Broken Bells looked like it would float its way up to #1. Or even sooner ago when Beck looked like it would be one of the easiest #1 records of the year.  But no #1 record is ever easy. Unless of course you are Dum Dum Girls apparently.  I wish I could say it was close but it was no where near close.  There were less stations reporting this week so the number of stations reporting Dum Dum Girls dropped but the percentage of stations only went down by a little bit. Last week 67% of all stations charted Dum Dum Girls and this week there were 64% of stations.

I don't want to say Beck had a bad week or does not have a chance at #1, because he does. But the window is down to one week. I see no scenario where Beck gets #1 later than next week.  The reason is simply the HUGE adds we had this week.  Real Estate looks like what I thought Beck would look like. Almost 200 ADDS!! These days its pretty rare to get that many ADDS. #2 most added St. Vincent had 185 ADDS and that would of been amazing any other week, THEN we had Black lips that had 129 adds and that would of been #1 most added Last week, the week before, the week before that, Black Lips would of been #1 in 5 of the 9 weeks so far this year.

So what happens now?

We have Dum Dum Girls with 64% of the stations and with a pretty nice lead on #2.

#2 BECK made an awesome jump from #42 to #2. I have to wonder if any record has jumped to #2 in its first push week on the chart and failed to make #1?  I have to think that does not happen very often if ever.

#3 Broken Bells window is closed.

#7 Phantogram jumping from #65 is pretty impressive so soon but I just think they will get jumped this next week.

I would not be shocked if Beck, Dum Dum Girls, St. Vincent or Real Estate were #1 next week. Any of them. Each of them have their reasons to go for it. If I am pushing Beck I see what went for adds this week and think my window to get to #1 is THIS WEEK so I put everything I have into this.

If I am pushing Dum Dum Girls I am thinking why not keep pushing and get an early start on #1 for the year and keep the others out until I have something else I can get in there.

If I am Real Estate or St. Vincent I am thinking once one of the 2 get to #1 it is going to be hard to boot the other one out.

Should be exciting to watch.  I think Beck does it.  However if not then it really could be anyone.

So who is going to be in Texas next week?  I will! We should hang out if so be sure to touch base on the twitter @theanimalarrg

There will be no recap next week due to SXSW or the week after due to me moving to NYC ( well if something exciting happens I might try to write SOMETHING )

Thank you for reading!

Douglas




No comments:

MEDIUM ROTATION.

I am excited to announce all future blogs will appear on the relaunched Medium Rotation. www.mediumrotation.com  Find that and more! T...