Wednesday, March 19, 2014

CMJ ISSUE 1336 Week 11

I really don't know how much time I have to write this but there is so much going on that I wanted to talk about so lets see how much I can get to.

For whatever reason I started to doubt my thoughts on Beck. However you can never understate the power of comfort, or familiarity.  Beck might not be the coolest or even the best record out right now but EVERYONE knows who he is. Where as some of these other records  A LOT of people know who they are but A LOT is not EVERYONE.  And this is the perfect time of year to have people not care how good your record is and just know who you are. ( not saying the Beck record is bad but I have a feeling Beck is being powered by mostly familiarity.)   It's spring break, its SXSW it's midterms its " I have too many records"

So Beck continues at #1.  But man are there a lot of contenders on the way / HERE

St. Vincent and Real Estate are pretty much deadlocked at 2 and 3.  Could be fun to watch them joust back and forth for a while as Beck just hangs out.  Lets welcome Black lips to the party as jump into the top 5. They are still a bit aways from 2 or 3.

Our number one ADD from last week was Elbow and they come in as the #1 debut at #34.  Elbow will go as far as AAA takes them as a lot of college kids will be like who?

This weeks #1 ADD was War on Drugs and while I thought it would be a battle between them and Perfect Pussy... well it was not. It would be interesting to look at if records did better for those companies that had more people at home than at SXSW. Sadly I am moving and don't have the time. But the records I glanced at seem to suggest that it had no effect either way.

War on Drugs looks like it could contend and while Perfect Pussy might challenge the top 10 or squeeze out a top five I doubt they seriously challenge for #1.

That is all I have time for sadly as they are packing up my cable now...
until next time where I will be in lovely New York City!

Follow me on twitter @theanimalarrg to discuss the charts or to hear me complain about Time Warner and how bad they are at what they do.


No comments:

MEDIUM ROTATION.

I am excited to announce all future blogs will appear on the relaunched Medium Rotation. www.mediumrotation.com  Find that and more! T...