Wednesday, July 30, 2014

CMJ ISSUE 1355 WEEK 30

Crazy that it's the last week of July already.  You would think that would mean only about 4 or so weeks until everyone comes back but its closer to 7 weeks. So 7 more weeks of slowness. I don't know about you but I am counting down for sure.

Jack White continues this weird run at #1. White lung is the first to drop out of the race to be next in line at #1. A Sunny Day in Glasgow runs in place, Parquet courts finally starts to fall and Antlers makes a move to rejoin the push for #1.

Alvvays, last weeks #1 most added comes in at a very impressive #7. Morrissey moves into the top 10 at #9.

Nothing really shocked me in the top of the charts. Jack White is the name people know and his run at #1 is not unexpected. I think if this were the fall there would be a lot more turn over in the top 5 but as we have seen things are moving rather slowly at the top, unless you are a big name.

This weeks ADDS were very interesting to me. I thought for sure Jenny Lewis would be #1 most added, but Bear in Heaven is on Dead Oceans and they arguably have the best in house team and when you combine that with an indie, in this case Team Clermont, it can lead to better than expected results.  I am not sure what this means for the charts as Jenny Lewis has a low debut already and I would guess Bear in Heaven will have a similar first week as Alvvays had this week.  

I was talking to a station yesterday and was telling him about our push for #1 and he wanted to know how every company can have a record they are pushing for #1 and if all of these companies seriously think they are going to get #1. I thought it was an interesting question. For me I don't really consider pushing a record for #1 unless I think we have a legit shot. That usually means we are in the top 5 or have debuted very high and there is another big record behind us.
 It also depends on what else I am working. We try not to compete against ourselves because often times you end up with a bunch of records hanging out in the top 5. While in the long run you can look back and say hey top 5 thats great. In the moment having none of them get to #1 really sucks.   Sometimes you can get multiple records #1 though, and those records are usually the "biggest" or "best" records out there. Take for example the Jack White, Parquet Courts tandem.  You could make the argument that these 2 records are the biggest two records at college radio and they happen to be worked by the same company and timed out perfectly.  
Sometimes you push for #1 just to get a record into the top 5 or to make sure that record has a really good week by making it the focus of your calls and emails. Usually this has success and gives the record a boost.
Another point about pushing a record for #1 is that it often takes a few weeks to get that message to everyone. Especially in the Summer and Winter. So you will see a company say "Going for #1" for a few weeks in a row until they get that goal or until the record starts to slide down.

In looking at the charts right now I could see 4 or 5 different records being pushed for #1.

11219JACK WHITELazarettoThird Man
24625HOW TO DRESS WELLWhat Is This Heart?Weird World
32119PARQUET COURTSSunbathing AnimalWhat’s Your Rupture?
46546ANTLERSFamiliarsAnti
55445A SUNNY DAY IN GLASGOWSea When AbsentLefse
63336WHITE LUNGDeep FantasyDomino
7--71ALVVAYSAlvvaysPolyvinyl
892083BRAIDNo CoastTopshelf
916-92MORRISSEYWorld Peace Is None Of Your BusinessHarvest
10--101WHITE FENCEFor The Recently Found InnocentDrag City

What do you think? 

I say that many because of what is coming. We have Jenny Lewis and Bear in Heaven on the way. Both of those could jump into the top 10 next week.  But the record I fear goes for adds next week and thats the new Spoon.  

Spoon could charge up there faster than the Black Keys did. I would not be surprised if in the ADD week the record "debuts" in the top 20.  If they wanted to I am sure they could try and go #1 on the ADD week. I mean it has to happen some day right?  I think this record will be a monster on the charts.  Just look at what the singles are doing 

152188-1522SPOON"Do You" [Single]Loma Vista
15398112985SPOON"Rent I Pay" [Single]Loma Vista
2 singles charting in the top 200. Thats crazy.    What do you guys think will happen? 

Does someone else get #1 before Spoon? If so who?  Lets continue the conversation on twitter! 

No comments:

MEDIUM ROTATION.

I am excited to announce all future blogs will appear on the relaunched Medium Rotation. www.mediumrotation.com  Find that and more! T...