Wednesday, June 03, 2015

COLLEGE RADIO RECAP WEEK 22. CMJ ISSUE 1395

Summer is here! I hope everyone had a great Memorial Day last week, I was in Las Vegas and Los Angeles.  Looks like I did not miss much. Alabama Shakes #1 again, Thee Oh Sees took #1 most added. There were under 200 reporters as I expected.  

This week we saw a bit of a rebound back to pre Memorial day numbers with 225 reporters (or 57% of our max more on that later) and yet another week with Alabama Shakes at #1.  

 My Morning Jacket did close the gap a little though. Currently Alabama shakes has 65% of the reporters and My Morning Jacket comes in with 55%. 

The question is then can they make up that 10% gap before Hot Chip, Unknown Mortal Orchestra and Thee Oh Sees make a run.  I never say never with My Morning Jacket, people that play them tend to stick around for a long time so they could outlast a jump. They have in the past, but that was towards the end of the year.  But can Thee Oh Sees or "The Oh Sees" as some like to call them for some reason,  make a jump from 37% to closer to 60%? That is a lot to ask. 

Hot Chip only has to go from 44% to closer to 60%.  Or does Alabama Shakes just ride this out for another 4 weeks until something newer comes along?  

Things move slower in the summer so something that might normally be done after 3-4 weeks could live to be 5-6 weeks old.. A LIFETIME in college radio. 

57% of our max is not an exact science as CMJ does not hand over everyone that has a subscription, and there are those that have subscriptions and do not report for some reason. So to get that number I looked at everyone that has reported so far this year. I took this weeks total reporters and divided by that. So maybe we can start to see if it was a slow week or a busy week. So 57% for this week what would of last week been?  49% so there 8% of stations that took off from Memorial day.  Could be something fun to pay attention to or it could be dumb. It's summer I have the time to waste if I want to. 

And since I have more time to waste I thought It would also be fun to look at 2015 numbers so far and compare them to 2005.  For starters if we had the same number of reporters today with he max number of reporters we would of had in 2005 then it would of been 33% of all reporters!  Aside from just the drop in stations what else has changed. (keep in mind that my numbers are not 100% accurate but I think they are pretty close) 

I will present the numbers first: 

In 2005 there were 5, 6 weighted stations or 007% of the reporting panel 
In 2015 there are 3, 6 weighted stations or 007% of the reporting panel 

In 2005 there were 20, 5 weighted stations or 03% of the reporting panel 
In 2015 there are 17, 5 weighted stations or 04% of the reporting panel 

In 2005 there were 103, 4 weighted stations or 15% of the reporting panel 
In 2015 there are 81, 4 weighted stations or 20% of the reporting panel 

In 2005 there were 173, 3 weighted stations or 25% of the reporting panel 
In 2015 there are 122, 3 weighted stations or 30% of the reporting panel 

In 2005 there were 176, 2 weighted stations or 26% of the reporting panel 
In 2015 there are 96, 2 weighted stations or 24% of the reporting panel 

In 2005 there were 155, 1 weighted stations or 23% of the reporting panel 
In 2015 there are 79, 1 weighted stations or 20% of the reporting panel 


What stands out to you? 
Just so you know, CMJ does adjust the weights of stations from time to time. However it has been a while since a mass adjustment was made.  
I find it interesting that the 6 weighted stations hold the same exact power as they did back in 2005. 
If you add up the 1,2 and 3's and treat them as one group they are the same in 2005 as they were in 2015 accounting for 74% of all reporters.  The big differences seem to come at the 3 and 4 level. 

Questions I wonder are is a 1% difference in the 2nd highest category significant? Does it change the chart that much? 

I think the 5% difference in both the 3's and the 4's do make a difference. I really don't know if it is good or bad though.  I do think there should be yearly adjustments though, reviews on stations to improve their ranking if they so wish.  Maybe it could be something stations apply for.  "Hey I am a code 1 and we just went from cable to having 10 watts, so before no cows could hear us and now 3 cows can hear us. Upgrade?"  

Lastly there are some changes coming at CMJ,  I did not see them listed on CMJ.com yet so I won't announce them here but stay tuned. In light of these forthcoming changes what are some things you would change about CMJ? Could be anything. 
Reporting.
Adds.
Marathon.
Awards.

Anything. It is summer lets brainstorm on how we can make CMJ better and see if we can't bring about positive change! If you have ideas that are too long for twitter just email me. 


Look forward to seeing what you have to say! Thank you for reading. 

Doug 






No comments:

MEDIUM ROTATION.

I am excited to announce all future blogs will appear on the relaunched Medium Rotation. www.mediumrotation.com  Find that and more! T...