Wednesday, August 07, 2013

This week in college radio CMJ ISSUE 1308 WEEK 31

August. Ooof.  These charts are so out of wack from what I consider normal it is really difficult to have a nice write up about them. This week we stayed below 250 reporters for the 5th straight week. If my records are correct we should start to see a return of station activity slowly going forward with the majority of stations coming back the week after labor day.  If anything exciting happens in this time I will be sure to note it but this past week, as I mentioned, the chart is just so weird that I can't reasonably talk about it without shaking my fist in the air and telling kids to get off my lawn.

We do have another #1 this week as I thought we might with Hunx and His punx taking the #1 spot away from Smith Westerns.  This weeks #1 add Washed Out looks like a good bet to be the next #1 record if it can, and I think it will, race up the charts rather fast.  The last few weeks the top 5 has not really been a predictor of a #1 record as the numbers don't really change from 5-15 very much.

So the recaps will be a lot like this until we have something more to talk about. Feel free to give me a topic or talk to me on twitter @theanimalarrg  Unless I am missing something there does look to be an exciting showdown in a few weeks between No Age and Ty Segall .  I find this a little interesting as over the past few months I have noticed more of a changing of the guard at Radio than I have in the last few years. Meaning "heritage" CMJ artists are trending downwards, not performing as well as expected,  and a newer group of bands are becoming the next new thing.   Now this could just be a result of the summertime or perhaps the well known bigger artists are just putting out dud records. But it is starting to look like a trend.  If you wait too long between records you can be easily forgotten at college radio and it is interesting to me what music directors are remembering.

Until next time!

thanks for reading.


No comments:

MEDIUM ROTATION.

I am excited to announce all future blogs will appear on the relaunched Medium Rotation. www.mediumrotation.com  Find that and more! T...