Wednesday, July 10, 2013

THIS WEEK IN COLLEGE RADIO, CMJ ISSUE 1304 WEEK 27

I do hope everyone out there had a fantastic long weekend and celebrated independence and all of those things. I know I did. I was half expecting to get back to a college radio graveyard. I mean I did not want to get back to work I can't imagine you guys wanting to.

Shockingly we had more reporters this week than we did last week.  Of course that does not mean anything exciting happened. Daft Punk reigns supreme at college radio for the 4th week in a row! They have come a long way from struggling to get to #1 to just parking themselves there.  Portugal. The Man comes in at #2 and made a nice effort in getting close to the top spot coming up a few stations shy, but I am willing to bet the weight of stations playing Daft Punk is higher. At number 3 we have Smith Westerns. I said last week I thought they had the next best chance to come and grab that #1 spot.  If it were any other time of year I would say without a doubt they would take it next week but I have no idea if half of the stations that reported this week will take a beach day instead so who really knows but I don't see anyone else remotely close to making a move.  

It was another weak ADD week as the #1 most added record ( Robert Pollard) only received 71 adds. Pretty low. There were also a lot fewer ADD reporters than chart reporters for whatever reason. Usually there is a gap but  it is usually around 20 stations difference not the 40 it was this week. So maybe everyone came back and did not have time to check out adds.    Last weeks #1 ADD, Daughn Gibson, came in at #37 while the #2 add, Bosnian Rainbows came in as the #1 debut of the week at #34. I continue to argue that ADDS do mean something but at the same time the numbers make me believe otherwise. I am sure the truth lies somewhere in-between.

I wish I had more to talk about this week. Coming back from the break though means not much to report. Perhaps if you have any questions about the inner workings of college radio we can cover them in the near future.  Had a really good back and forth WZBT via twitter about last weeks blog so thank you all for reading.  IF there is anything  you want to talk about please do hit me up on twitter @theanimalarrg   Look forward to talking to you soon!

No comments:

MEDIUM ROTATION.

I am excited to announce all future blogs will appear on the relaunched Medium Rotation. www.mediumrotation.com  Find that and more! T...