Wednesday, July 15, 2015

COLLEGE RADIO RECAP CMJ ISSUE 1401 WEEK 28TH JULY 15TH

I have told this before but it bears repeating. There are a handful of numbers you never want to be on the charts. #2, #6, #11, #16, #21 . At least in the heat of the moment or the excitement of that week these are the worst numbers. Even looking back it still burns me that certain Tom Waits records only got to #2. I am sure it burns that Modest Mouse peaked at #2.  Not to say #2 is BAAAAAD .. its just not #1. Saying top five record just is not as sexy, nor does it have the impact as saying #1 record. 

It is always fun to be in a race for #1, no matter if it is for ADDS or for the Charts. As a promoter it really energizes me. I am not really sure it ever matters for the stations. I am sure there were times when I was a MD a promoter would say we are in a tight race for #1 most added or #1 on the charts and I would get caught up in that excitement and I might add a record because of that. I am sure there were many times where it had no impact at all as well. It really always comes down to the record  being promoted. 

We are in the dog days of summer with not a lot of movement on the charts. Thee Oh Sees continues to hold at #1 but that lead is shrinking weekly. Unknown Mortal Orchestra is RIGHT there on the cusp... But it has also been on the charts longer than anything else in the top 5 so you have to wonder how much time they have left. But without anything else pushing its way up there the way we see in the fall, you have to believe they have a good chance. Who would of thought Bully would be in line for a run at #1 when they went for adds, but here they are at #3. Leon Bridges at #6 also is something to keep an eye on. I think any of these have a shot next week but as soon as Tame Impala gets out there all bets are off. 

This weeks Adds race was a lot of fun. So few stations report early in the summer that it becomes difficult to really predict who is a contender.  The first reading I felt good about was around 3pm on Monday with just under 30 stations reporting.  Bird and the Bee had 10 ADDS and Velvet Teen had 9.  Nothing else was really on my radar at that point.   Nothing really changed throughout Monday. They remained pretty close with Bird and the Bee having a slight lead when I went to bed. When I woke up it was deadlocked again.  Throughout Tuesday it remained deadlocked. both records within an ADD of each other. Then out of nowhere, well they could of been there the whole time but I had only been focused on Velvet Teen and Bird and the Bee, EZTV started climbing up the list. At one point they had the most ADDS.  With 10 min to go The Velvet Teen had taken the lead and was up 67-65 over Bird and the Bee. The thing about the CMJ system though is it only lets you check the status every 10 min. So for those last 10 Min of reporting I was riding blind. I had no idea what would happen. 

When I checked the playlists at 2:10 they indicated a TIE between the two records. Well A tie is better than #2 I thought. I felt good, I thought it was a fun race to break up the boredom that comes with leaving 100+ messages in the summertime.  Then the charts came out and Bird and the Bee had won by one.  Well you can imagine how shocked I was. After the dust settled though and I cleaned my broken computer off the floor and bought a new one I was able to look into what had happened. 

Apparently an invalid chart had been corrected to be valid again is the short story.  

Today as I look back on it I am not as bummed as I was yesterday and think it was a blast going head to head for #1 and while my record did not "win" it was fun. This is one of the reasons I love ADDS. I can see what is happening as its going on. With the charts I can push for higher chart numbers but it takes a lot more math to see what that higher chart number means. With ADDS everyone is equal. One ADD is One ADD everywhere. And you know where you stand and if you are 3 adds away from #1 you go after those stations that only added 4 adds this week. Or you go after those stations that added singles from 3 weeks ago. Sometimes you can move the needle sometimes you can't. It brings excitement to what we do though. Especially in the summer. 

We should take a look at these ADDS in 6 or so weeks and see if they were a predictor of anything. I feel they usually are. Remember a few weeks ago when it was Bully Vs Desaparecidos? Bully came out on top ( in what ended up not being that close of a race) and now They are #3 while Desaparecidos is #11, Still very good but clearly the record that got the most adds is doing better. 

Thank's for reading.  I will be on the internet. Find me there. 



Until next time. 




No comments:

MEDIUM ROTATION.

I am excited to announce all future blogs will appear on the relaunched Medium Rotation. www.mediumrotation.com  Find that and more! T...