Wednesday, November 12, 2014

CMJ ISSUE 1369 WEEK 44 RECAP

Oh hey there new #1 record!  Caribou finally made the move I thought they would of made weeks ago and took over #1. It was pretty close though as King Tuff still has more stations than Caribou, its just a matter of one moving up and the other moving down. I thought the big story though this week was the move of Deerhoof up to #9 in its first week on the charts.  That was until I looked at the numbers and Deerhoof is at best weeks away from competing for #1. If anything I think this weeks #1 most added Tv on the Radio has a better shot at #1 than Deerhoof does. My guess is that we see Tv on the Radio jump up and perhaps even pass Deerhoof next week. If I had to predict it out through the end of the year I would say Tv on the Radio is our end of the year #1.

Something fun to start thinking about is who is the #1 record of the year? This is based a lot of the time on longevity and when the record was #1.

Lets take a look at who was #1 this year going backwards :

CARIBOU-1
KING TUFF -3
TY SEGALL-5
SPOON--4
ALVVAYS-1
JACK WHITE-3
PARQUET COURTS-2
BLACK KEYS-3
THEE OH SEES-2
WYE OAK--1
MAC DEMARCO--4
REAL ESTATE--2
ST VINCENT--1
BECK--2
DUM DUM GIRLS-4
SHARON JONES--3
BLOOD ORANGE--1
ARCADE FIRE-1

Last year the #1 for the year was Vampire Weekend and I think a lot had to do with how long it was on the charts.

Out of the records listed above
Black Keys are still on there and have been for 25 weeks
Jack White for 23 weeks
Alvvays for 15 weeks
Spoon for 14 weeks

Will the longevity of the record matter more than how long it was at #1? Or even when it was #1? My guess would have to be Mac Demarco because of when it was in the year and how long it was #1. If Ty Segall would of been earlier I would of said that.

So yeah lets talk about it who do you think will be the record of the year.  Also another fun game is what will be the highest ranked #2 record of the year?

Follow me on Twitter @theanimalarrg and lets chat.



No comments:

MEDIUM ROTATION.

I am excited to announce all future blogs will appear on the relaunched Medium Rotation. www.mediumrotation.com  Find that and more! T...